Today in the Rundown, we have some powerful news about the Nintendo Switch, get the latest rumours about the future of the Arkham video games, have some good news about Disney, some bad news about Crytek, and finally, we intercept early intel on the first big expansion for Battlefield 1!
Nintendo really wants to dock with you, and they’ll make it worth your while. It feels like we can’t go a single day without discussing the latest rumours about the Nintendo Switch. According to new reports from VentureBeat and Eurogamer, the new Nintendo system will take a significant hit to its processing power when you unplug it from its stationary dock. The sites claim that, when plugged in, the Switch’s graphics processor will operate at 768 MHz, but when you unplug it and take it with you on the go, it will only run at 307 MHz. The good news is that, even when it’s running slower, the Switch should still be more powerful than Nintendo’s last console, the Wii U. Keep in mind that Nintendo hasn’t made any official announcements about the internal workings of the system, so consider all of this a rumor until further notice. Nintendo will unveil new details about the Switch at a special event on January 12, ahead of its scheduled launch in March.
It looks like the Suicide Squad is no match for Batman, or Batman’s son. WB Games Montréal, which developed the 2013 game Batman: Arkham Origins, has reportedly cancelled their rumoured Suicide Squad game. That’s according to Kotaku, which, citing unnamed sources, reports that the Suicide Squad project had been scrapped in order for the studio to focus on another DC video game focusing on Batman’s son Damian Wayne. It’s unclear exactly why the Suicide Squad game might have been shelved, especially after the success of the Suicide Squad movie, which was quite vexing at the box office. The existence of the Suicide Squad game was never officially confirmed, although it was teased in a post-credits sequence at the end of Arkham Origins. We’d love to play it, but the idea of WB Games Montréal instead making a Damian Wayne game has us equally excited. So what about the main Arkham developer Rocksteady Studios? They recently delivered the Batman: Arkham VR experience, but haven’t said what they’re working on next. We’ve got our fingers crossed for a Justice League game.
There’s a lot of money being counted at Disney right now. Thanks to the financial success of the Star Wars spin-off movie Rogue One, Disney has just crossed $7 billion in global box office revenue for 2016, becoming the first movie studio in history to make that much money in a single year. Star Wars put them over the top, and the numbers were fuelled by other massive Disney blockbusters Finding Dory, Zootopia, and Captain America: Civil War, which all earned more than a billion dollars each. The previous record holder was Disney’s rival Universal Studios, which earned just under $7 billion in 2015 thanks to the success of Jurassic World and whatever the last Fast and the Furious movie was called. In a statement, Disney chairman Alan Horn says that their success is due to the fact that they always make sure their stories “resonate with audiences across borders, gender, and generations,” so they always have something for everyone. This is crucial when you consider the growing importance of international film markets like China, especially in the face of declining film viewership in North America. With all that money, it’s a shame they had to cancel Disney Infinity.
Game maker Crytek is going through a real life crisis of its own. The studio behind the Crysis games and the CryEngine has been forced to close down five of their seven studios and layoff most of their staff, leaving open just their Ukrainian subsidiary and their main office in Germany. This follows years of financial hardship for the company, capped off by the poor reception of their latest project, the PlayStation VR title Robinson: The Journey. Crytek says that this has been a difficult time for them, but, with their remaining studios, they hope to pull through and continue development of new, AAA projects. They’re currently working on a free-to-play game called Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, due out next year, and they’re rumoured to be working on an unannounced sequel to their 2013 game Warface. We hope they survive, and we wish the best of luck to all the developers they’ve already had to let go.
Battlefield 1 players will soon be able to pardon their French. Developer DICE has announced the first big expansion for their WWI shooter. It’s called They Shall Not Pass, and will finally bring the French army into the game for the first time. Players will be able to take control of a soldiers in the new French Army faction, and there will also be new France-specific weapons, along with four new maps the recreate iconic French battlefields, most notably, the massive Battle of Verdun. The lack of any French content in a game about WWI has been one of the biggest complaints so far, so it’s no surprise that DICE would want to address it in the first expansion. It will be available in March, and is one of four expansions included in the game’s Season Pass, which costs $67 in Canada. DICE has also been releasing smaller, free DLC for the game. The latest is the new Giant’s Shadow map, which launched earlier this month for Season Pass holders, and is available today for everyone else.