It’s cold outside so bundle up with a toasty new Rundown! Today, we have disappointing news about Nintendo’s mobile game Super Mario Run, take a look at the latest Spider-Man movie, find out when you can test out Ghost Recon Wildlands, get the latest on the battle between Ubisoft and Vivendi, and finally, intercept forceful intel on the next Star Wars Battlefront game!
If you’re planning to play Nintendo’s new mobile game on an airplane, guess again. The company’s first big mobile game Super Mario Run will require a constant internet connection in order to play. That’s according to Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto, who tells Mashable that the constant internet connection is required for security reasons, and also to integrate all the built-in online features included in the game’s three different modes. Unfortunately, this means you will not be able to play the game anywhere that doesn’t have an internet connection, namely, on a flight or on a road trip. This seems like a terrible idea, especially for a mobile game that everyone is eager to play. Hopefully Nintendo doesn’t continue this policy with their upcoming console/handheld hybrid the Switch. Super Mario Run will run onto iOS devices next week, with an Android version slated to follow next year.
Here’s something that will get your Spidey senses tingling. Sony Pictures and Marvel debuted the first full trailer for Spider-Man: Homecoming on Jimmy Kimmel last night. The film stars newcomer Tom Holland as the iconic webslinger, following his introduction in Captain America: Civil War earlier this year, and this time around, he’s got web wings for gliding! I guess that means there will be more than one version of the action figure. Other popular Marvel heroes will also appear in the film, the most expensive being Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man. This is the first version of Spider-Man to be part of the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe following a deal between Sony Pictures and Marvel’s parent company Disney. Marvel is now allowed to use Spider-Man in their films, but they also have to create these new solo movies for Sony, with Sony floating the bill and getting the lion’s share of the profits. Spider-Man: Homecoming will swing into theatres on July 7. Tom Holland will also return in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War in 2018.
You’ll be able to try out the new Ghost Recon game a little early. Ubisoft has confirmed that they’ll be holding a beta test for their open world game Ghost Recon: Wildlands. They haven’t said when the test will begin, but the game comes out in March so expect it happen in the next few months. You can register right now by clicking the link below this video. It makes sense that Ubisoft wants to test everything ahead of time. Wildlands is the first Ghost Recon game set in an open world, and it will have the same kind of seamless, drop-in, drop-out multiplayer that they’ve been using in other recent games like Watch Dogs 2. The map is also the biggest that Ubisoft has ever created for an open world game, covering more area than anything in Assassin’s Creed, Watch Dogs, or Far Cry.
We’ll be posting the rest of that interview on our channel soon so keep an eye out for that. We’ll have plenty more on Ghost Recon Wildlands before it arrives.
Follow this link to apply for the BETA! https://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildlands/en-us/beta-registration/index.aspx
And the makers of Ghost Recon Wildlands are in the middle of a real life fight for survival. The massive media conglomerate Vivendi appears to be continuing its hostile takeover of Ubisoft. Earlier this week, Vivendi bought more and more of Ubisoft’s shares, upping their ownership of the company to 25%. Buying up public shares is how big companies are able to take over smaller companies without their consent, hence the name “hostile takeover.” Vivendi says they’re doing it because they just want to work with Ubisoft as a financial partner, but Ubisoft isn’t buying it. CEO Yves Guillemot say that Vivendi’s efforts to take them over will have destructive financial consequences, and for gamers, new ownership of Ubisoft will likely have a big impact on the style and tone of the games they make. Ubisoft was able to survive Vivendi’s takeover attempts earlier this year, and they’ve vowed to keep fighting.
The makers of Star Wars Battlefront want to tell a new story in the galaxy far, far away. Battlefront developer DICE has confirmed rumours that the next game in the series will have a single player story campaign. Speaking with Eurogamer, DICE producer Paul Keslin says that the campaign is “locked in” for Battlefront 2, and it’s something the team is looking forward to delivering. This is the first official confirmation that the game is getting a single player story, following several hints and rumors over the last few months, but we still don’t know when or where the story will take place in the vast Star Wars universe. We’ll let you know when more details come in. Battlefront 2 is expected to leave spacedock in 2017. Along with the single player, another thing we hope it has is VR support. DICE just released the X-Wing Mission for their first Battlefront game, and it’s undeniably awesome, and gets us very excited for more. Hopefully VR will be a bit more mainstream when the next game comes out.
In other news from DICE, they’ve unveiled the next DLC map for their latest game Battlefield 1. It’s called Giant’s Shadow, and is based on the real-life Battle of the Selle, which took place in France near the end of the war. The whole thing takes place in the shadow of a giant, crashed airship, and the map also comes with a new weapon, the Grenade Crossbow, which is exactly what it sounds like. Best of all, Giant’s Shadow is free, but here’s the catch: it will be available on December 13 for Season Pass holders and those who preordered the game, while everyone else will have to wait an extra week until December 20.